- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped peanuts
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients; stir in butter. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt caramels with cream, stirring often. Sprinkle chocolate chips and peanuts over the crust; top with caramel mixture. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Peanut Bars
"Everyone loved these. The creamy caramel was so good. I am going to make these for a family party. I can see a riot breaking out over them. Lol"
"What a good bar recipe! I didn't have a few ingredients so I had to substitute, nothing that really changed the taste of the recipe though. Instead of chocolate chips I used mini M&Ms and I replaced melting the caramels with whipped cream by using a homemade caramel sauce."
"These bars are very attractive and taste amazing. They also hold up very well- I mailed a batch to my brother and they didn't crumble to bits. I really like the oatmeal crust and topping- it keeps the bars from being too sweet."
"These bars are delish!!! They taste just like a candy bar. I have been making them for years and they are always a hit."