Caramel Oat Bar Mix
In Boise, Idaho, Jennifer Jensen keeps a big batch of this oat mixture on hand, so she can bake these rich treats in a hurry. The moist bars get extra sweetness from caramel ice cream topping and chocolate chips.
60 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (12 ounces) hot caramel ice cream topping
- In a large bowl, mix the first six ingredients; cut in shortening
- until crumbly. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place up
- to 6 months. Yield: 2 batches (about 8 cups total).
- To prepare bars: Preheat oven to 375°. Contents of mix may settle
- during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup.
- Place 4 cups of oat mix in a bowl. Add butter; mix until blended.
- Reserve 1-1/4 cups.
- Press remaining mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake
- 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle chips over crust. Drizzle with caramel topping; carefully
- spread caramel to within 1/4 in. of edges. Sprinkle with reserved