- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (12 ounces) hot caramel ice cream topping
- In a large bowl, mix the first six ingredients; cut in shortening until crumbly. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 2 batches (about 8 cups total).
- To prepare bars: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup. Place 4 cups of oat mix in a bowl. Add butter; mix until blended. Reserve 1-1/4 cups.
- Press remaining mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle chips over crust. Drizzle with caramel topping; carefully spread caramel to within 1/4-in. of edges. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture.
- Bake 18-22 minutes longer or until golden brown and filling is bubbly (caramel mixture will not be set). Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen per batch.
Reviews for Caramel Oat Bar Mix
Sort By :
I made the mix some time ago and baked one batch of the bars. They were fantastic - I've never had so many people ask me for a recipe. They were a personal favorite of my husband and myself and were 5+ stars! I went to make another batch today, and when I logged in the recipe had changed. I would not make the bars with the new recipe again - they burnt quickly, were hard, and had much less flavor. Is there any way to get the OLD recipe posted? I would like to make them using the previous recipe...they were the best bars I have ever made!!!
Do I need to make any adjustments if I use sugar substitute, both white and brown splenda?