Caramel Nut Torte Recipe
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons apple cider or juice, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Line two 6-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Set aside 1 tablespoon. Add cider, vanilla, baking powder, cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar to remaining yolks.
- 2. In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter; then fold in remaining whites. Fold in crumbs and almonds.
- 3. Gently spoon into prepared pans. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- 4. In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, butter and 2 tablespoons cider. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir a small amount into reserved yolk; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Cool.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in 2 tablespoons caramel sauce until smooth. Spread over one cake; top with remaining cake. Add remaining cider to remaining caramel sauce to achieve drizzling consistency.
- 6. Beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Frost top and sides of cake. Drizzle with caramel sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 468 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 170mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Caramel Nut Torte
"I prepared it and it and the taste is amazing. I have to admit that it took me one hour and not 30 min. But it was worth it :)"
"Made this for hubby and I and we were in Heaven. My goodness this is so good! We each had a small slice so there is still plenty left! Will be sharing this tonight with lots of friends :)"