- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) cold cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups mixed nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in cream cheese and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out dough into a 10-in. circle. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom; trim edges.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double layer of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 400°.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread into crust.
- Place tart pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Caramel Nut Tart
"My daughter and I love this tart! It could not be simpler to make -- so deceiving because it looks impressive and is positively decadent. We have mad additional caramel but its not necessary. Love it"
"I made this for a friend for Thanksgiving to serve at her get together. It was an immediate hit and I am making it again for Christmas. Because my springform is 11 inches. I doubled the entire recipe. With the extra tart dough, I used cutters to make leaves forvthe top. Doubling the filling -- well, that requires no explanation! Yummy. Thevrecipe is deceptively simple and looks very impressive."
"just excellent, crust, filling, taste. so easy to make as well"
"I think you could probably use either salted or unsalted nuts. I was thinking of using unsalted but then sprinkling a bit of sea salt on after the baking was completed."
"were the nuts salted or unsalted used in this recipe"
"This is one of the best tarts ever!! Next time I will double the caramel mixture. Really delicious!!!"
"The carmel over the nuts - followed by the baking made an excellent crunchy tart. I adjusted the temperature down and took the foil off sooner but otherwise followed the recipe. It is still wonderful on the 3rd day."
"Oh my. This is very decadent. It reminds me of a caramel-pecan candy we found in Savannah."