Caramel Nut Bars Recipe
No one can resist these chewy caramel and chocolate bars with a delightful oat crust and topping. They make a tempting dessert or a special snack anytime. These rich bars are perfect for a potluck since a little goes a long way. -Pat Hills, South Dayton, New York
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle 1 cup into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan (do not press).
- 2. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. In a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir caramels and milk until caramels are melted.
- 3. Pour over crust. Top with chocolate chips and nuts. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 154 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 104 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC