No one can resist these chewy caramel and chocolate bars with a delightful oat crust and topping. They make a tempting dessert or a special snack anytime. These rich bars are perfect for a potluck since a little goes a long way. -Pat Hills, South Dayton, New York
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle 1 cup into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan (do not press).
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. In a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir caramels and milk until caramels are melted.
- Pour over crust. Top with chocolate chips and nuts. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Caramel Nut Bars in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p37
Reviews for Caramel Nut Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review