- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 jar (3-1/2 ounces) macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- Line a 9-in. square baking pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and remaining butter; stir until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until blended; beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Cook over medium-high heat without stirring until syrup is golden, about 5 minutes; remove from the heat.
- In a small saucepan, heat cream over low heat until small bubbles form around edge of pan. Gradually stir cream into syrup (mixture will boil up). Cook and stir over low heat until blended. Stir in butter until melted. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Pour over brownies to within 1/4 in. of edges. Sprinkle with chips and nuts. Bake at 325° for 5 minutes (do not let chips melt completely). Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 4 hours. Lift out of the pan; remove foil. Cut into bars. Yield: 20 brownies.
Originally published as Caramel Macadamia Nut Brownies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p228
Reviews for Caramel Macadamia Nut Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review