Caramel Ice Cream
Every Fourth of July, our family would gather for a picnic, fireworks and scoops of my mother's special ice cream. I can also remember sitting around the coal stove eating it at my sister's house. Boy, was it good.
32 ServingsPrep: 30 min Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
- In a heavy skillet, brown 2 cups sugar, stirring constantly, until
- caramelized, being careful not to scorch it. Immediately combine
- eggs, remaining sugar, flour and milk in a large saucepan. Smooth
- out any lumps and bring to a boil. Carefully add caramelized sugar
- and stir constantly until mixture is melted. Remove from the heat;
- add vanilla. Pour into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer; add
- enough cream to fill cylinder 3/4 full. Freeze according to
- manufacturer's directions. Yield: about 1 gallon.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.