Caramel-Glazed Apple Cake Recipe
MY Mother made this family favorite from scratch and it was the most requested birthday cake. We could hardly wait for apple harvest to begin, because we kids knew what would be baking in the oven. The tempting aroma brought us right into the kitchen.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:6 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the apple, walnuts and coconut.
- 2. Spread into a greased 8-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine the glaze ingredients; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; drizzle over cake. Yield: 6 slices.
1 slice equals 486 calories, 31 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC