I usually keep a supply of this sauce in the refrigerator at all times so I can make one of these sundaes whenever I crave one. The recipe has wonderful chocolate-caramel flavor and has been in our family for years.
Featured In: 25 Cool Ice Cream Desserts
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 24 caramels
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- Chopped pecans or peanuts, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients in order given. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the caramels are melted and mixture is smooth (do not boil). Reduce heat to low. With an electric hand mixer on medium speed, beat in vanilla; continue beating for 5 minutes. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool for 30 minutes (sauce will thicken as it cools). Serve over ice cream; sprinkle with nuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Reheat in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Yield: 1 quart sauce.
Originally published as Caramel Fudge Sundaes in Reminisce March/April 1995, p49
Reviews for Caramel Fudge Sundaes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review