Creamy caramel frosting puts the crowning touch on spiced cupcakes and other scrumptious flavors. Our Test Kitchen's recipe is rich with spreadable goodness.
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, milk and
- salt. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium. Do not stir. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until
- bubbles form in center and syrup turns amber in color. Transfer to a
- small bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting achieves
- spreading consistency. Yield: 1-1/3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (4 teaspoons) equals 118 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.