Caramel-Frosted Potato Cake Recipe
I am 90 years old and have been baking this cake very Christmas for 65 years! My sister-in-law gave me the recipe in 1941 and it has been in demand since. My grandchildren have never been able to figure out why it's called a potato cake since it doesn't taste like potatoes.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, potatoes and chocolate. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar; cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 3 minutes. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a thick pouring consistency. Pour over cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Caramel-Frosted Potato Cake in Reminisce February/March 2007, p 49
Reviews for Caramel-Frosted Potato Cake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Bundt Cake Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Caramel Cake >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- German Desserts >
- German Recipes >