- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, potatoes and chocolate. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar; cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 3 minutes. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a thick pouring consistency. Pour over cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Caramel-Frosted Potato Cake in Reminisce February/March 2007, p 49
Reviews for Caramel-Frosted Potato Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 24, 2009
"This cake is very yummy."