Caramel Fried Ice Cream Recipe
Meet the Cook: For birthday parties or outdoor barbecues, this is a hit. At times, I substitute strawberry or Neapolitan for the vanilla ice cream...either works fine, too. My children used to love eating out at Mexican restaurants just so they could order fried ice cream for dessert. When I came upon this recipe, I copied it down quickly! -Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 2 cups finely crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. Using a 1/2-cup ice cream scoop, place eight scoops of ice cream on a baking sheet. Cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm. In a bowl, combine whipping cream and vanilla. In another bowl, combine coconut, cornflakes and cinnamon.
- 2. Remove scoops of ice cream from freezer; wearing plastic gloves, shape the ice cream into balls. Dip balls into cream mixture, then roll in coconut mixture, making sure to coat entire surface. Place coated balls on a baking sheet. Cover and freeze at least 3 hours or until firm.
- 3. For caramel sauce, heat sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until partially melted and golden, stirring occasionally. Add butter. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until sauce is thick and golden; keep warm.
- 4. Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 375°. Fry ice cream balls until golden, about 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with caramel sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Caramel Fried Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC