- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 3 slices white bakery bread (1 inch thick), halved
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange bread over caramel.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and salt; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Caramel French Toast
"Very good. Will do again."
"This is a great recipe to incorporate into breakfast rotation. easy to make the night before so can concentrate in the morning on coffee, fruit, breakfast meat to go with it. I thought 2 servings was quite liberal until I saw how fast two people scarfed it down. Pan cleaned up very easily. Only thing I would do different is turn it upside down on the plate (didn't read about that until after breakfast)."
"I absolutely loved this recipe, and I wouldn't change anything about it, the flavor was there and it was nice and moist. I even used homemade white bread which just made it even better"
"I have made this a couple of times. The first time I followed the recipe exactly and the second time I thought I would cut back on some of the liquid, the vote was, follow the recipe exactly, it was too dry without all the liquid."
"An excellent tasting French Toast recipe."
"Sounds delicious and I am going to make this weekend - I agree with Batemanj, Bettycrocker1961 shouldn't even be looking at this stuff if she is on weight watchers - why would you even check the ingredients and then make a comment like that - DON'T EAT IT!!"