Caramel Flan Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-2/3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sugar until melted, about 12 minutes. Do not stir. When sugar is melted, reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until syrup is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Quickly pour into an ungreased 2-qt. round souffle dish, tilting to coat the bottom; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3. In a blender, combine the condensed milk, milk, eggs, yolks and vanilla. Cover and process for 15 seconds or until well blended. Slowly pour over syrup.
- 4. Place the souffle dish in a larger baking pan. Add 1 in. of boiling water to baking pan. Bake 350° for 55-60 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove souffle dish from larger pan. Place on a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 5. To unmold, run a knife around edge and invert flan onto a large rimmed serving platter. Cut into wedges or spoon onto dessert plates; spoon sauce over each serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 259 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 148 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Flan
"This is a basic way to make flan, but flan is NOT a Mexican dessert. How ignorant."
"BucFan It forms a syrupy like 'sauce' on top and you spoon this over each piece. Delicious!"
"As a lover or caramel flan this hits all the right notes. Yum!!"
"What sauce are you referring to that you pour over the flan? The recipe isn't clear..."
"Only recipe that the caramel topping came out right. Used metal skillet and cooked over med-low heat 10 min. Then over low heat stir occasionally for 2 minutes to make sure all is melted. Be watchful when turning golden. Pour in large circle in dish and immediately twirl to cover bottom and sides...perfect."
"This is a good flan recipe. I had to melt the sugar at a lower temperature because the first time I tried it on medium heat for 12 minutes, the sugar burned. The next time I melted it on a lower heat and it did fine."
"will have to try this, had something like this at "Mia Mexico" in Minot, ND and it was so good."