Caramel Flan Recipe
Sometimes I like to top this Mexican dessert with whipped cream and toasted slivered almonds. —Anelle Mack, Midland, Texas
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-2/3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sugar until melted, about 12 minutes. Do not stir. When sugar is melted, reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until syrup is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Quickly pour into an ungreased 2-qt. round souffle dish, tilting to coat the bottom; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3. In a blender, combine the condensed milk, milk, eggs, yolks and vanilla. Cover and process for 15 seconds or until well blended. Slowly pour over syrup.
- 4. Place the souffle dish in a larger baking pan. Add 1 in. of boiling water to baking pan. Bake 350° for 55-60 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove souffle dish from larger pan. Place on a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 5. To unmold, run a knife around edge and invert flan onto a large rimmed serving platter. Cut into wedges or spoon onto dessert plates; spoon sauce over each serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 259 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 148 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC