Caramel Eggnog Recipe
With pleasant hints of caramel and nutmeg, this creamy, nonalcoholic beverage from our Test Kitchen is a spin on the holiday classic. It’s bound to become your go-to recipe for years to come.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook without stirring until mixture turns an amber color and a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; gradually stir in milk.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- 3. Pour into a large bowl; stir in vanilla and nutmeg. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until cooled. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 4. Before serving, whip cream until soft peaks form; fold into eggnog. Top servings with grated nutmeg if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 265 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Eggnog
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC