Caramel Dumpling Pudding Recipe
I found this recipe handwritten into an old cookbook of my mom's, who was born in 1897. We like to eat this old-fashioned dessert warm, topped with cream, ice cream or whipped cream. -Marianne Ryan, Lyons, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch each nutmeg and salt
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Ice cream
- 1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring water and 1/2 cup brown sugar to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and milk just until blended. Stir in the remaining brown sugar. Fold in raisins and walnuts. Drop by spoonfuls over sauce.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Spoon into dishes. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 723 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 138 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC