Caramel Date Pinwheels Recipe
When I want to make a cookie with fruit in it, this recipe is my first choice. It turns out well each time and has earned plenty of praise, including ribbons at our state fair.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:84-96 servings
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped red candied cherries
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the dates, water and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in walnuts and cherries. Cool completely.
- 3. Divide dough in half; roll one portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up into a tight jelly roll, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 4. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices with a sharp knife; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 7-8 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 43 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC