Caramel Date Pinwheels Recipe
When I want to make a cookie with fruit in it, this recipe is my first choice. It turns out well each time and has earned plenty of praise, including ribbons at our state fair.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped red candied cherries
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the dates, water and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in walnuts and cherries. Cool completely.
- Divide dough in half; roll one portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up into a tight jelly roll, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices with a sharp knife; place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 7-8 dozen.
Originally published as Caramel Date Pinwheels in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p30
Reviews for Caramel Date Pinwheels(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review