Caramel Custard Recipe
My husband and I have enjoyed this simple dessert many times, especially after a Tex-Mex meal. In fact, I've made it so often I don't even look at the recipe. See if it doesn't become a regular favorite at your house.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, cook and stir 3/4 cup sugar over low heat until sugar is melted and golden. Pour into eight 6-oz. custard cups, tilting to coat bottom of cup; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining sugar until combined but not foamy. Pour over caramelized sugar.
- 3. Place the cups in two 8-in. square baking pans. Pour boiling water in pans to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
- 4. To unmold, run a knife around rim of cup and invert onto dessert place. Serve warm or chilled. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 259 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 172 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC