Caramel Custard Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Combine brown sugar and flour; press into pastry.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt; pour over brown sugar mixture.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack; sprinkle with nutmeg. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 277 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Custard Pie
"I thought it was good. The night we tried it it was ok, but the flavors blended nicely after a day. I used coconut extract instead of the vanilla. Tasty pie."
"My family loved this recipe. I actually added about a 1/4 cup of coconut to the milk mixture. Next time, I will add 1/2 cup coconut. Excellent with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. :-)"
"Sigh, I really hate to give this a one star review. I saw this recipe in my TOH magazine and it looked delicious. I made it exactly as the recipe states. It was disgusting. The "caramel" was very gritty and the "custard" was more like the consistency of a curdled omelet. I threw it out. But I was sure I did something wrong, so I made it again. This time I substituted fat free evaporated milk for the 2%. The custard was a much more pleasant consistency the second time around, but it had no taste. And the caramel, alas, still gritty."
"I had never had a custard pie so I don't have anything to compare this one to, but I did not like this. I threw it out."