Here’s a traditional custard pie that’s been in our family for over 100 years. A fun layer of caramel jazzes up the creamy old-fashioned flavor. Great with whipped topping! —Roger Clapper, Delavan, Wisconsin
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Combine brown sugar and flour; press into pastry.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt; pour over brown sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack; sprinkle with nutmeg. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Custard Pie in Healthy Cooking October/November 2011, p22
Reviews for Caramel Custard Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review