Our whole family has a sweet tooth, so this caramel-drizzled mix of popcorn, almonds and cereal goes quickly. My "off-limits" batches are divided into plastic bags, tied with ribbon and shared with all the snackers on my Christmas list.
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 9 cups popped popcorn
- 9 cups Crispix cereal
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a very large heat-proof bowl, combine the popcorn, cereal and
- almonds; set aside. In a large heavy-duty saucepan, melt butter;
- stir in corn syrup and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat
- until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5
- minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in baking soda. (Mixture will foam up and
- get lighter in color.) Carefully pour over popcorn mixture; stir to
- coat evenly.
- Transfer to two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with
- cooking spray. Bake at 250° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15
- minutes. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight
- containers. Yield: about 4-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 324 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 312 mg sodium,