Caramel Cranberry Bars
“My mom created this wonderful dessert after tasting something similar,” writes Debbie Kersh in Springtown, Texas. The sweet bars boast a tangy cranberry flavor.
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 3/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, dates, pecans and 2
- tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda
- and remaining sugar. Stir in butter; set aside 1 cup for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- dish. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining flour in a small bowl. Stir in caramel
- topping until smooth; set aside. Sprinkle cranberry mixture over
- crust; drizzle with caramel mixture. Sprinkle with reserved crumb
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a
- wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.