Caramel Crackers 'n' Nuts
Here is a favorite snack of mine that I find addictive. I love to give them as gifts during the holidays in gift wrapped covered coffee cans with a plastic bag lining the inside.Betty B. Claycomb, Alverton, Pennsylvania
24 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 packages (6.6 ounces each) miniature cheddar cheese fish-shaped crackers
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large greased bowl, combine crackers and peanuts; set aside. In
- a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn
- syrup. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads
- 280° (soft-crack stage), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour over
- cracker mixture; quickly stir until evenly coated.
- Transfer to two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake at
- 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool; break apart.
- Store in airtight containers. Yield: about 3 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 196 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.