"For years I've taken this snack to our church retreat," says Nancy Breem of Canastota New York. "I take it in two containers—one for each night—so it doesn't all disappear the first night. Other church members tell us that if we can't attend, we should just send the caramel corn."
48 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 12 quarts plain popped popcorn
- 1 pound peanuts
- 2 cups butter, cubed
- 2 pounds brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Place popcorn in two large bowls. Add 1/2 pound peanuts to each bowl.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil
- over medium heat; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Pour half of the syrup over each bowl of popcorn and stir to coat.
- Transfer to large roasting or 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and break apart while warm. Cool completely.
- Store in airtight containers. Yield: 12 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 267 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.