Caramel Corn with Nuts
"This homemade caramel corn far surpasses the store-bought variety. Adding nuts makes it extra special. I like to double the recipe for gifting."
Karen Scaglione, Nanuet, New York
13 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts
- Place popcorn in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup
- and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until
- mixture comes to a rolling boil. Cook and stir until candy
- thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from heat; stir
- in baking soda (mixture will foam). Quickly pour over popcorn and
- mix well; stir in nuts.
- Transfer to two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Bake at 200° 45
- minutes, stirring once. Remove from pans and place on waxed paper to
- cool. Break into clusters. Store in airtight containers. Yield:
- 2-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 224 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.