Caramel Cookie Candy Recipe
These homemade candy bars combine a smooth, silky caramel over a delicate vanilla cookie. When you set a plate of these treats out, we're sure they won't last long.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:48 servings
- 2 teaspoons plus 2/3 cup butter, softened, divided
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream confectioners' sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press dough into prepared pan. Bake 16-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For caramel, combine sugar, corn syrup and butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil gently for 4 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat; gradually stir in milk.
- 4. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over prepared crust. Refrigerate 2 hours or until caramel is set.
- 5. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; cut into 3-1/4x3/4-in. bars. In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip bars in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined sheet; refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 candy bar equals 246 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC