Caramel Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
My husband and our four sons are delighted when I bake these sweetly satisfying cinnamon rolls with a terrific caramel glaze. They make any meal special.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 7-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, potatoes, eggs, salt and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; spread with melted butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 12 slices; place cut side down in three greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 27-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 6. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine the cream, sugars and butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in marshmallows until melted. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Drizzle over rolls. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 293 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC