Caramel Chocolate Trifle
A highlight of our annual family reunion is the dessert competition. The judges take their jobs very seriously! Last year's first-place winner was this tempting trifle.—Barb Hausey, Independence, Missouri
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (9 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- 2 packages (3.9 ounces each) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1 package (7-1/2 or 8 ounces) English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for an 8-in.
- square baking pan. Cool on a wire rack. Prepare pudding according to
- package directions.
- Cut cake into 1-1/2-in. cubes; place half of the cubes in a 3-qt.
- trifle bowl or large glass serving bowl; lightly press down to fill
- in gaps. Top with half of the whipped topping, pudding, caramel
- topping and toffee bits; repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate until
- serving. Yield: 16 servings.