Caramel-Chocolate Oat Squares Recipe
In the summer, we often have weekend guests who go boating with us. These sweet, chewy bars are the perfect treat to take along. Since I can use my microwave to prepare a batch, I don't have to heat up the oven--and my kitchen. -Kellie Ochsner, Newton, Iowa
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 caramels
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts, optional
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat butter, uncovered, on high for 20-30 seconds or until softened. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; stir into butter until blended.
- Set a third of the mixture aside for topping. Press remaining mixture onto the bottom of an 8-in. square microwave-safe dish. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until crust is raised and set (crust will be uneven), rotating a half turn after each minute.
- In a 1-qt. microwave-safe dish, heat the caramels and milk, uncovered, on high for 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stirring every minute. Sprinkle chips and nuts if desired over crust. Pour caramel mixture over all.
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; press down lightly. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until the caramel is bubbly, rotating a quarter turn every minute. Cool before cutting. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Caramel-Chocolate Oat Squares in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p31
Reviews for Caramel-Chocolate Oat Squares(4)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2012
Love to make this in the summer.
Reviewed Dec. 19, 2011
I love taking this to small gatherings! They're always gone!
Reviewed Oct. 20, 2010
its a family favorite. every year people keep asking for it and the recipe. definitely worth trying.
Reviewed Mar. 21, 2010
One is good, but no need to go back for seconds.
More Recipe Collections
- Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Bar Recipes >
- Chocolate Bars >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easy Desserts >
- Father's Day Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Quick Chocolate Desserts >
- Simple Desserts >
- Simple Quick Recipes >