Caramel-Chocolate Crunch Bars
“These bars are lower in calories and are just scrumptious,” says Agnes Ward. “The Grape-Nuts and oatmeal gives them a nice nutty crunch.” With caramel and chocolate on top, you'd never guess these are light.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Grape-Nuts
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with heavy-duty foil. Coat foil with
- cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add the oats, flour
- and cereal; mix well. Pat into prepared pan.
- Drizzle caramel topping to within 1/2 in. of edges. Bake at 400°
- for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake 1 minute longer. Cool
- on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bar equals 177 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.