“These bars are lower in calories and are just scrumptious,” says Agnes Ward. “The Grape-Nuts and oatmeal gives them a nice nutty crunch.” With caramel and chocolate on top, you'd never guess these are light.
Recommended: 16 Girl Scout Cookie Contest Finalist Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Grape-Nuts
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with heavy-duty foil. Coat foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add the oats, flour and cereal; mix well. Pat into prepared pan.
- Drizzle caramel topping to within 1/2 in. of edges. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake 1 minute longer. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Caramel-Chocolate Crunch Bars in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p24