"I'm noted for my Christmas cookies, and this recipe is my absolute all-time favorite," says Joan Williams of Eatontown, New Jersey.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 caramels, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- Chopped pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, milk, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until easy to handle.
- Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of dough around caramel pieces. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, chocolate, corn syrup and enough water to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Sprinkle with pecans if desired. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Caramel Chocolate Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2005, p8
Reviews for Caramel Chocolate Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review