"I'm noted for my Christmas cookies, and this recipe is my absolute all-time favorite," says Joan Williams of Eatontown, New Jersey.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 caramels, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- Chopped pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, milk, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until easy to handle.
- Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of dough around caramel pieces. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, chocolate, corn syrup and enough water to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cookies. Sprinkle with pecans if desired. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Caramel Chocolate Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2005, p8
Reviews for Caramel Chocolate Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2009
"Excellent cookies!! Great taste and fun to make!!"