- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 32 caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 Heath candy bar (1.4 ounces), chopped
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, caramels and milk; cook and stir over medium-low heat until smooth. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oil and eggs until blended. Stir in chips and chopped candy bar (dough will be stiff).
- Press three-fourths into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Place on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Pour caramel mixture over the crust. Drop remaining dough by spoonfuls onto caramel layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; run a knife around edges of pan. Cool 40 minutes longer; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Chip Bars
"This recipe was originally meant for the 18.25 oz cake mix. Unfortunately, cake mix sizes have been reduced to 15.5 oz. So, if you want to make this awesome bar and keep all the other original ingredients the same…. buy two boxes of cake mix. Pour one box in a container with a lid. Pour the other box in your mixing bowl and then take 6 TBS of cake mix from the container you poured the extra cake mix into and add it to your mixing bowl and you will have the same amount as a 18.25 oz cake mix. Now the recipe will work beautifully. And you'll now have extra powdered cake mix in your container to use for future recipes which call for the 18.25 oz cake mix."
"Stubborn, a heath bar is equivalent to a skor bar."
"Sounds delicious but what is a Heath candy bar. What kind of bar would it be equivalent to in Canada?"
"Awesome! I replaced some of the chocolate chips with butterscotch and didn't do the 3 cups of chips, maybe about 2 and it was plenty sweet enough."
"Excellent!!! I substituted the vanilla chips with peanut butter chips. Great flavor combo!"
"this is my absolute favorite desert. everyone loves it and wants me to make it at all of the gatherings. If you like chocolate and caramel together, then you will love this."
"The BEST bars i have ever had in my life!"
"Way too much caramel, outside was hard and the middle was too gooey."
"These are without a doubt the BEST bars I've ever made!! My family begs me to make these all the time and they're always the first thing requested at gatherings. Easy to make but a little time consuming. Definately worth it!!!"
"Super yummy. Will be one of my favorites.Easy to make. Kraft comes out with CaramelBits that are round and easy to melt. No more unwrapping the caramels.:)"