Caramel Chip Bars Recipe
It's fun to take a yellow cake mix and create something that is this rich and wonderful. We like eating the bars when they are cold, right out of the refrigerator. They're ideal with a tall glass of milk. -LaDonna Reed, Ponca City, Oklahoma
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 32 caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 Heath candy bar (1.4 ounces), chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the butter, caramels and milk; cook and stir over medium-low heat until smooth. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oil and eggs until blended. Stir in chips and chopped candy bar (dough will be stiff).
- 3. Press three-fourths into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Place on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 4. Pour caramel mixture over the crust. Drop remaining dough by spoonfuls onto caramel layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until edges are golden brown.
- 5. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; run a knife around edges of pan. Cool 40 minutes longer; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 391 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Chip Bars
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC