Caramel-Cashew Pretzel Rods
To give these pretzel rods the fun flavor of s'mores, I sometimes use mini marshmallows and coarsely crushed graham crackers in place of the cashews.—Joanne Wright, Niles, Michigan
48 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 24 pretzel rods
- 3 cups chopped salted cashews or chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, melted
- 4 ounces white candy coating, melted
- In a microwave, heat caramels and cream on high for 2-3 minutes or
- until caramels are melted, stirring after each minute. Stir until
- Break pretzel rods in half. Dip the broken end two-thirds of the way
- into caramel mixture; allow excess to drip off. Roll in cashews.
- Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Chill until set.
- Drizzle dark chocolate over dipped portion of pretzels; chill until
- set. Drizzle with white coating; chill until set. Store in airtight
- containers or wrap in cellophane gift bags and tie with a ribbon.
- Yield: 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pretzel rod equals 125 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.