Caramels, cashews and chocolate chunks make any gray day something special in this recipe from Amber Kieffer of Aurora, Colorado. Let the kids unwrap all those caramels, counting as they go, to see who unwraps the most.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup salted cashew halves, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour and oats; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine caramels and cream. Cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and cashews.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Caramel Cashew Chewies in Simple & Delicious July/August 2008, p19
Reviews for Caramel Cashew Chewies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review