Caramel Butter Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans to wire racks to cool completely. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers.
- 3. For caramel sauce, melt brown sugar in a heavy skillet over low heat for about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 4. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk and egg yolks. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add melted brown sugar. Cook and stir until a thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in the butter and vanilla until the mixture is smooth and spreadable.
- 5. Place bottom layer on a serving plate, quickly top with 1/3 cup caramel sauce. Repeat layers 4 times. Top with the sixth cake layer. Dust cake with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 668 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 161 mg cholesterol, 362 mg sodium, 110 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Butter Cake
"My grandmother made a version of this cake and the whole family called it "Good Cake". It is very rich and you could only eat a little slice but it was so worth it! The caramel fudge candy frosting was the best part, BUT it takes a LONG time to make the frosting part!"
"Cake was very heavy and not much flavor. Was disapointed in frosting. It was more a drizzle than a frosting. We needed a lot of water and coffee to get this cake down."