- horizontally into two layers.
- For caramel sauce, melt brown sugar in a heavy skillet over low heat
- for about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk and egg yolks. Bring to
- a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add melted brown
- sugar. Cook and stir until a thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball
- stage). Remove from the heat; stir in the butter and vanilla until
- the mixture is smooth and spreadable.
- Place bottom layer on a serving plate, quickly top with 1/3 cup
- caramel sauce. Repeat layers 4 times. Top with the sixth cake layer.
- Dust cake with confectioners' sugar if desired.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 668 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 161 mg cholesterol, 362 mg sodium, 110 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.