- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pans to wire racks to cool completely. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers.
- For caramel sauce, melt brown sugar in a heavy skillet over low heat for about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk and egg yolks. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add melted brown sugar. Cook and stir until a thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in the butter and vanilla until the mixture is smooth and spreadable.
- Place bottom layer on a serving plate, quickly top with 1/3 cup caramel sauce. Repeat layers 4 times. Top with the sixth cake layer. Dust cake with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Butter Cake in Country Extra November 2002, p37
Reviews for Caramel Butter Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review