Caramel Brownies Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 14 ounces caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs and milk. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips and 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the caramels and condensed milk over low heat until caramels are melted. Pour over baked brownie layer. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over caramel layer; carefully swirl brownie batter with a knife.
- Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Brownies
Sort By :
"I use the quick version: german chocolate mix 12 T melted butter 1/3 cup evap milk - press half in 13x9 pan, bake. In a saucepan, melt caramel 1/3 cup evap milk and pour over brownie mix. Sprinkle choc chips, pecans and put pieces of remainder dough on top and bake again. Absolutely wonderful - rich and delicious. I cut these in small squares... about 1 - 1.5" squares. And yes they freeze very well. These also taste very good chilled, straight out of refrigerator."
"Excellent! Easy to make and tasted great!"
"I make a version of this with a chocolate cake mix (regular no pudding added), add 2/3 cup evaporated milk and one stick melted butter to the mix, bake 2/3 as indicated, melt caramels with 1/3 cup evaporated milk and layer caramel, nuts and choc chips. Drop remainder of batter over the top."
"I have never seen canola oil in UK. Is there a substitute I could use instead?"
"Easy to do and so delicious"