- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs and milk. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips and 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the caramels and condensed milk over low heat until caramels are melted. Pour over baked brownie layer. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over caramel layer; carefully swirl brownie batter with a knife.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Brownies
"firefly2025 - You're trying to equate fluid ounces (volume) with weight. That only works for thin liquids like water, milk, and broth. 1 cup of chocolate chips weighs approximately 6 ounces."
"The cooking time is waaaay to long. I baked mine 35 mins and it was overdone. Too burnt on the edges, however the center was delicious! I would recommend checking them aat the 20 min mark. Remember the bottom layer was already bake 10 mins!!!"
"Used 1 can of Nestle Dolce de Leche Caramel instead of messing with caramels. It’s the same ingredients as above but milk and caramels are already combined. Pour the can into a microwave safe bowl and nuke until hot. I found this product by the sweetened condensed milks at Walmart under $3."
"Delicious!!! I baked it without caramel.After I baked the brownies I covered them with chocolate ganache and caramel."
"I use the quick version: german chocolate mix 12 T melted butter 1/3 cup evap milk - press half in 13x9 pan, bake. In a saucepan, melt caramel 1/3 cup evap milk and pour over brownie mix. Sprinkle choc chips, pecans and put pieces of remainder dough on top and bake again. Absolutely wonderful - rich and delicious. I cut these in small squares... about 1 - 1.5" squares. And yes they freeze very well. These also taste very good chilled, straight out of refrigerator."
"Excellent! easy to make and tasted great!"
"I have never seen canola oil in UK. Is there a substitute I could use instead?"
"easy to do and so delicious"