Caramel Brownies Recipe
I love to cook. My family can't possibly eat all of the sweets I whip up, so my co-workers are more than happy to sample them—particularly these rich, chewy brownies that are full of gooey caramel, chocolate chips and crunchy walnuts. —Clara Bakke, Coon Rapids, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 14 ounces caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, cocoa, oil, eggs and milk. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Fold in chocolate chips and 1/2 cup walnuts.
- 2. Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the caramels and condensed milk over low heat until caramels are melted. Pour over baked brownie layer. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- 4. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over caramel layer; carefully swirl brownie batter with a knife.
- 5. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 376 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC