- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) apricot halves, undrained
- 2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine apricots and tapioca; let stand for 15 minutes. Add the brown sugar, butter and lemon juice. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a full boil. Reduce heat to low; keep warm.
- For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder; cut in butter until crumbly. Add milk; mix just until combined. Pour warm fruit mixture into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish (mixture will be very thick). Drop the batter into six mounds onto fruit mixture.
- Bake, covered, at 425° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while baking).
- In a small saucepan, bring brown sugar and water to a boil; cook until sugar is dissolved. Spoon over dumplings; bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Serve with cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Apricot Grunt in Country Woman March/April 1999, p33
Reviews for Caramel Apricot Grunt
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review