Nothing tastes better at this time of year than a sweet-to-eat caramel apple! For our harvest fest, subscriber Karen Ann Bland of Gove, Kansas happily agreed to share her favorite recipe, including instructions on making caramel sauce. "That rich homemade flavor just can't be beat," she says.—Karen Ann Bland, Gove, Kansas
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8 to 10 wooden sticks
- 8 to 10 medium tart apples
- In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup
- and milk; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until
- mixture reaches 248° (firm-ball stage) on a candy thermometer,
- about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Insert
- wooden sticks into apples. Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture;
- turn to coat. Set on waxed paper to cool. Yield: 8-10 apples.