Caramel Apple Trifle Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping, divided
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Additional apple pie spice, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the apples, walnuts, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice. Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in 1/2 cup caramel topping and remaining apple pie spice. Fold in 2 cups whipped topping.
- 3. In a 3-1/2-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer a third of the cake cubes, cream cheese mixture and apple mixture. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with remaining whipped topping and drizzle with remaining caramel topping. Sprinkle with additional apple pie spice if desired. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 14 servings.
1 cup: 472 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Trifle
"I followed the recipe but made my own apple pie spice and diced the apple instead of sliced as in the photo. It was wonderful! All the ladies at the meeting loved it, took leftovers to their husbands, and they loved it, too. Great recipe!"
"The flavor of this recipe is so good! I've made it twice and had great reviews both times. A good way to save $$ is to make up your own apple pie spice, there are plenty of recipes online. This is really easy to make also and I love a dessert you can make up ahead of time. The only thing I changed is that I make one and a half times the filling because it seems just a bit too little."
"Very good and easy to make."
"The recipe was delicious, everyone LOVED IT!! However, I had to double everything to fill my trifle bowl. I would make again for Thanksgiving!!!"
"Do the apples turn brown"
"Frist time I made this, It was okay. The second time I made it I doubled up on the apples, caramel. I actually used smuckers caramel topping for ice cream. I also used two cream cheeses and switched the walnuts for pecans. I like real whipped cream so I whipped up my own and decorated it like the picture using a pastry bag. I added more pecans and drizzled the caramel over it. It was delish! It went so fast. The first time I made it , althrough I thought it was good, Their didn't seem to be enough mixture to layer with. So try this recipe but double it up. I'm sure your family will love it. ."
"Wow, this recipe is fantastic! Made it for my family and not only is it elegant looking but it tastes spectacular! I followed one recommendation to lightly pour some of the caramel topping between each layer, but not too much. I used a pastry bag and decorative tip to swirl the whipped cream on top like the picture and it turned out beautiful! Everyone loved this....there was none left. If I make it again, I would do more of the apple mixture. Since I didn't have a trifle bowl, the large glass bowl I did have, is wider than a trifle so the apple mixture didn't go as far as I would have liked. So keep in mind if you don't have a trifle bowl."
"I made this recipe for a family reunion and teacher conference. Everyone has LOVED the recipe! My suggestion is to use a variety of apple from Fugi, Gala, and Macintosh. This provides a good mix of sweet and tart! Plus be sure to let it set for at least 4 hours! YUMM"
"don't skip by using the frozen, white tub dairy product. This recipe is -Whip your own heavy cream, worthy! drizzle a little "extra" caramel between layers too! YUM...a keeper of a recipe!"
"I made this last fall for my family and they all loved it. I am making it again this year not only for my family but for the ladies at church when I host a Tupperware party. It's so light and easy to make. It is a favorite."
"While this is a good recipe, I felt like it missed something. I added more spice because it didn't taste like it had enough for me. All in all it was good, but not something I would make again."
"I have made this recipe for potlucks and everyone raves about it."
"The flavors were good but I felt there was too much cake. I would reduce it by at least one third."
"This recipe is fantastic. I made it for all my co workers (my husband doesnt eat sweets) and they loved it! its is really easy to make and feeds a crowd. Its also very light and a good fall recipe"
"I am not usually a fan of cooked apples but wanted to try this for my family. We ALL enjoyed it. It made a very large bowl so I saved the leftovers in the freezer. It was great the second time around too."
"it's soooo good"
"I made this recipe for my sons wedding rehusal dinner and it went over awsome . I was so happy . and have had alot of people ask me for the recipe"