Caramel Apple Strudel Recipe
My father, who was born and raised in Vienna, Austria, would tell us stories about how his mother covered all of the kitchen counters with dough whenever she made apple strudel. This recipe is a modern, delicious way to carry on part of my family's heritage. —Sarah Haengel, Bowie, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min.+ Cooling Bake: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 5 medium apples, peeled and chopped (5 cups)
- 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1/4 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream and additional caramel ice cream topping, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- 2. Unfold puff pastry onto a large sheet of parchment paper; roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Transfer paper and pastry to a baking sheet, placing a short side of the rectangle facing you. Using a slotted spoon, arrange apples on bottom half of pastry to within 1 in. of edges. Drizzle apples with caramel topping. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the bottom side. Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut slits in top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, serve with whipped cream and additional caramel topping. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice (calculated without toppings) equals 270 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC