Caramel Apple Strata Recipe
This makes a great autumn breakfast or brunch entree that puts an unexpected twist on a classic strata. —Kelly Boe, Whiteland, Indiana
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old cinnamon bread
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugar and pie spice. Arrange half of the bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with apples; drizzle with half of the caramel sauce. Sprinkle with pecans; top with remaining bread.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining caramel sauce.
- 4. Remove strata from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- 5. In a microwave, heat the reserved sauce. Drizzle warm sauce over strata. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece with 1 tablespoon sauce equals 462 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 198 mg cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Strata
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC